Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Recovery Run (4.1mi)

Took the dog for a short trail run.

Weight: 138 lbs
Time: 40 min

After warming up, I did lower body cross training.  Took the dog for a trail run, hoping to get back before it possibly rained.

Such a good idea: go for a quick trail run with the dog, followed by another solo "out and back" to round out the mileage.  Unfortunately, I completely discounted the effects of the weekend rains.  The trails were muddy in that "wet asphalt/potter's clay" sort of way that Wildwood has.  The dog behaved herself for the first half of the run, and didn't have any problem sinking in the mud like I did.  She started acting up on the return leg, which didn't help my struggles with suddenly 10 lb shoes.  Getting off of the main trails, I realized that any additional miles I ran would have to be on the roads.  Shortly thereafter, I realized that I had fatigued a couple of muscles in my legs when fighting the extra weight of muddy shoes, the pulling of the dog, or both.  So, I stuck to the few miles I ran with the dog and called it a day.  Hopefully I'll be okay for some mileage tomorrow.

I'm going to continue with the week as though it is a pre-race taper, even though there is now a possibility that Sunday's race will be postponed (again) due to rain.