Monday, March 8, 2010

Tempo Run (8.1mi)

Assuming there isn't a delay in next Sunday's race, today begins a week of tapering.  Took the dog for a warm up, then went for a short tempo run.

Weight: 138.5 lbs
Time: 63 min

Slept quite a bit better last night.  Did my usual warm up and stretching, along with push ups and upper body cross training.  Skipped pull ups due to a tender spot on one of my fingers.

I decided to let the dog be a dog, for the most part, during our warm up.  She seems completely incapable of discipline for about the first mile of running, so I didn't correct her behavior apart from keeping her from running too far ahead.  She mellowed for the second mile and actually fell into heel position on her own a couple of times.

After getting her back home, I went back out and tried not to push very hard.  This got me a 6:16/mi pace for the three mile segment, without really being very out of breath.  During the cool down I worked on keeping a faster than normal pace (<7:30/mi) and figured out some changes I should try to my running form.