Monday, December 7, 2009

Treadmill Speedwork (~7mi)

Very cold and rainy today, and giving the dog more recovery time.  Switching to the treadmill to do some speedwork.

Weight: 136.5 lbs
Time: 66 min

Went to bed a little after 8pm and slept well, but need to keep it up for more days.  I warmed up, stretched, and did push ups, pull ups, and upper body cross training.

Warmed up with a 20 minute run at 6 MPH.  I followed that up with a segment at 10 MPH.  I couldn't hold that speed for more than about a mile so I switched to about 9 MPH.  After about 9 minutes I slowed back down to 6 MPH for one minute.  Sped back up to 9 MPH for another mile, then slowed down to 6 MPH for two minutes.  Sped back up to 9 MPH for another mile, then dropped to 6 MPH for another 20 minutes to cool down.

I can never seem to maintain fast speeds on the treadmill.  I think part of it is that I'm just bad at holding a steady pace, so keeping up with the treadmill drains me.  Another issue is probably my body temperature, which is too high when indoors to maintain higher speeds for very long.  However, I do feel good about holding up at 9 MPH as long as I did.